I started the project trying to do a color scheme with similar tones. Initially it worked but once I tried adding content, the project fell apart and was no longer cohesive.
I started over, and decided to go block by block. I took an image of a surfboard I found online, and then I took a picture I had taken and cropped it to just the boats and inserted that.
I started adding writing scraps I did, as well as another photograph of mine of a textured side of a boat. I also added a picture of mine where I inverted the colors, the orange was initially purple, you can find both those images in my Cancun gallery here.
I added more color, and more letters and words as well. I tried a couple of things with the boat texture, but eventually making the words out of it worked best.
For the final piece, I added an overlay of running water to convey a since of a dreary day. I also changed the bottom right yellow block with a crayon like texture to the writing and inserted a hand-drawn sketch palm tree. I also hand-drew the stars and added words over the water texture.